- Created by: Garry Stahl
- Appearance: Starbase 600 game
- Number of Members: 3.5 billion
- Nature of Members: Flightless Avianoids. Think Big Bird, only brown and rendered more realistically. Avayains are 7 foot tall pear shaped creatures with big feet. They are omnivores and egg layers. Young are helpless at hatching Avaya is a world where avian forms replace primates.
- Organization: One Nation planet
- Game Role: Yet another encounter and player.
- World Role: Someone else eager to "seek out..."
- Relative Influence: Average. The Avayains are new players in a region of new players.
- Public or Secret?: Public, a planet is hard to hide.
- Publicly Stated Goal: See the universe in all its vast and wondrous glory.
- Relative Wealth: Good, one solar system and the Kliges'chee graveyard to draw off of.
- Group advantages: Good solid technology base and a solid political system that works for them.
- Group disadvantages: Small fish, big pond.
- Those who favor them: The Federation.
- Those opposed to them: No one yet.
- Area of Operation: The Far Sector fifteen light years from Starbase 600.
- Headquarters Location: Avaya
- Public Face: We get to explore the GALAXY!
- Notable Members: None as of yet.
- History of the Organization: Avaya is a typical class M world with typical class M creatures. The Avayains have been developing as they currently are for the last 500,000 years. They have had close scrapes were they were within a few hundred of extinction, and their own self imposed near destruction. In short they have made mostly the same mistakes most sentient species make. They have their share of genius, fools, wise rulers, and dictators with funny dye jobs.
500 years ago the Aneilogs found the Avayains fractured into dozens of nation states and holding wars. (imagine if you will several hundred brown big birds sprayed with cameo green screaming as they cross a battle field firing automatic rifles.) The Aneilogs left them be. When the Kliges'chee swept through the Avayains were still in a pre-space flight stage so they were left alone as the Kliges'chee fleets smashed themselves on the Encarta defenses.
At this point in time the Avayains have achieved warp drive. They have begun to explore the region around them. Some Avayains are disappointed that other races are in space ahead of them. The rest are "Like duh. The evidence was there and we all could see it. It's good to have friends."